English Language Learner (ELL) Program Coordinator
Since 1965, the Racine Literacy Council (RLC) has provided tutoring to adults (18+) who want to improve their basic literacy skills or learn English. Adult learners have the opportunity to work towards achieving life-skill goals as they relate to themselves and their families, employment, education, and community engagement. Tutoring is provided with the help of volunteer tutors who are trained to work with learners in small groups or one-to-one. All new learners and tutors get started in the drop-in-program, where coordinators facilitate sessions and create lesson plans that build from week to week based on learner goals and feedback from tutors.
The Racine Literacy Council is seeking a bilingual English/Spanish candidate to support the mission and purpose of the English Language Learner (ELL) Program offered by the Racine Literacy Council. This position coordinates key program components and supervises program functions. This position will work with the Program Director on the implementation of the ELL Program.
• Bilingual English/Spanish
• Demonstrated responsiveness and sensitivity to cultural differences.
• Ability to work independently.
• Effectively manage time and prioritize activities and projects.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Communicate with key staff (Executive Director, Program Director, Program Coordinators) on a daily/weekly basis.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite
• Administer TABE Clas-E tests to students / grade tests / update database with results.
• Matches learner with tutors
• Recommends materials for learner/tutor to use
• Works with referring agencies
• Coordinates delivery of monthly tutor training.
• Coordinate/conduct Tutor-In-Service programs
• Provides learner/tutor support
• Monitors educational content and progress of learners
• Participate in fundraising, tutor recognition, and student recognition events/activities
• Regular informal contact with learners/tutors
• Formal Team meets with learner/tutor to assess progress
• Produces monthly Program Report and other report for funders and national organizations.
• Communicate in a timely manner with RLC students, volunteer tutors, and staff member about upcoming classes, community opportunities, fundraising, office closures, etc.
• Strengthen partnerships with community organizations
• Represent the RLC at community fairs/open house events
• Bilingual (Spanish/English)
• Curriculum development
• Prior management experience
• Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail
• Experience working with curricula designed for adult learners
• Experience working with adults of diverse ethnic/socio-economic backgrounds
• Ability to assess needs of a variety of constituents and create a long-term plan to address them.
• Bachelors degree or certificate in adult education, ELL/ESL experience equivalent
• TESOL certificate preferred
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $16.00 /hour
Please send applications to Steven B. Mussenden, MS, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.