General Health Literacy
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health Literacy Website. The CDC health literacy website provides information and tools to improve health literacy and public health. These resources are for all organizations that interact and communicate with people about health, including public health departments, healthcare providers and facilities, health plans, government agencies, non-profit/community and advocacy organizations, childcare and schools, the media, and health-related industries.
- Health Careers: A Guide to Finding Entry-Level Jobs in Health Care, by the Florida Literacy Coalition.
- Health Literacy Out Loud: Health Literacy from a Literacy Perspective: Helen Osborne interviews John Comings, EdD about both the literacy and health aspects of health literacy, practical strategies that health professionals can use, and ways the health system can collaborate with the adult literacy system.
- Health Literacy Consulting helps organizations communicate health information in ways that patients, families and employees can understand. Resources include: a free monthly e-newsletter, workshops and keynote presentations, plain language writing and editing services, health literacy tips, and Health Literacy Out Loud podcasts.
- Universal Precautions Toolkit (2nd edition) - AHRQ: The AHRQ Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit is based on the principles of universal precautions, or specific actions that providers can take to make health information more understandable for all patients. It is designed to be used by all levels of staff in practices providing primary care for adults and/or pediatric patients.
- Department of Health and Human Services National Action Plan to Improve Health LIteracy released 5/27/10. Summary. Full plan.
- Health and Literacy Special Collection: This is an excellent health literacy resource with information for teachers and students, links to many sources of written health information, some health related curriculum topics and Family Health and Literacy: A Guide to Easy-to-Read Health Materials and Web Sites.
- Alliance for Aging Research Fact Sheet: Tips for Grandparents on Safe Medicine Storage. This fact sheet provides tips for grandparents to help keep their grandchildren safe.
- Health Information Translations provides multilingual health information materials in many languages, including some American Sign Language resources.
- Health Reach provides multi-cultural and refugee information for both patients and health care professionals in many languages. Includes videos, audio files and documents. Compiled by the National Library of Medicine with a searchable database.
Health Insurance Literacy
- The American Institutes for Research (AIR) has completed development and validation of the Health Insurance Literacy Measure (HILM). The HILM, which is publicly available, can help identify what aspects of health insurance pose the greatest problems for consumers, which groups need more assistance to enroll and use benefits, and what topics and skills consumer counseling-efforts should focus on. An article in the latest issue of the Journal of Health Communication describes the testing and validation of the HILM. AIR released the attached Issue Brief—A Little Knowledge Is a Risky Thing: Wide Gap in What People Think They Know About Health Insurance and What They Actually Know—that describes the survey results used to validate the HILM.
Health Literacy Interest Groups
- Health Literacy (United Kingdom)
Join a group of health and education academics and practitioners, service providers and service users committed to raising the profile of Health Literacy as a remedial cause of Health Inequalities of England, and to developing and undertaking research to achieve that. The UK group is very interested in linking with others with an interest in the area, both within the UK and abroad.
- Literacy Information and Communication System (LINCS) Health Literacy Group
The group is a community of practice of where adult educators, adult education program managers, and health educators discuss the instructional and programmatic best practices and issues related to the incorporation of health literacy into adult education programs.
- Institute for Healthcare Advancement (IHA) Health Literacy Discussion List
This listserv provides a forum to share ideas, get advice, ask questions, and make announcements.
- AHRQ Informed Consent and Authorization Toolkit for Minimal Risk Research
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has developed this toolkit to facilitate the process of obtaining informed consent and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) authorization from potential research subjects.
- Advanced Health Care Directive Form
The simplified advance directive form from California can be downloaded for free.
Health Literacy Summit
Over 350 people attended the 2017 Wisconsin Health Literacy Summit, which focused on how improved health literacy can help individuals become more engaged with their health and healthcare.
An additional 80 individuals attended the Medication Label Summit centering on how improving prescription drug labels can help patient understanding. Visit our Summit page for more information.
Wisconsin Health Literacy is working with a patient advisory council to design easy-to-read medication labels. Our work has impacted about 3 million prescription labels in Wisconsin. Read more about this project.