Board of Directors Volunteer Member Representative
Vision: All people in Wisconsin have the literacy skills to reach their full potential.
Mission: Changing lives by strengthening literacy statewide.
Purpose: Responsible for supporting and enhancing the mission of Wisconsin Literacy by participating in fundraising, strategic planning, providing guidance regarding continuous service improvement, guaranteeing a stable financial base for the agency, and communicating the mission of Wisconsin Literacy to the wider community.
- Make a serious commitment to the cause of adult and family literacy, as well as health and workplace literacy.
- Attend six board meetings per year (three virtual).
- Participate actively on one or more Wisconsin Literacy committees.
- Make a personally significant annual financial contribution.
- Promote and facilitate relationships that will contribute resources.
- Attend Board orientation meeting and Board development training when offered.
- Provide guidance to Wisconsin Literacy’s Executive Director.
- Create and implement a strategic plan for ensuring the organization’s success.
- Commit to supporting Wisconsin Literacy’s work through a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion lens.
- Participate in Wisconsin Literacy activities that result from Board decisions.
- Assist with the development of financial and community resources.
- Disclose potential conflicts of interest as they arise.
- Participate in an annual evaluation of the Board's work.
- Responsible to the Board Chair
There are six board meetings each year, three are virtual (1.5 hours long) and three are in-person in Madison, Milwaukee or other location in the state depending on board make-up. The in-person meetings are 3 hours in length and include lunch. The board meets the 2nd Friday of even numbered months.
Additional committee meetings/responsibilities require an additional time commitment by a virtual meeting during odd-numbered months. Member literacy agency representatives are elected by members and may serve two 2-year terms.