More informal that group classes, small groups are a great way to bring learners together, offer leadership opportunities and practice basic skills. Read ProLiteracy's article "Small-Group Information for Program Managers."
ELL Conversation Groups
- conversation practice around different topics with a variety of people
- often led by volunteers or interns
- usually multilevel
- often cover American culture, local community and current events
- reading and conversation practice, as well as community building
- Hi-Lo books (high interest for adults at appropriate reading levels)
- Learners read books on their own, in class or with their tutors.
- group meets regularly to discuss and may use a study guides
- often led by a volunteer, intern or peer (great leadership opportunity for a learner)