WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act)
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) was signed into law by President Obama on July 22, 2014. WIOA seeks to more fully integrate states' workforce and talent development systems to better serve employers and job seekers.
-Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
WI DWD outlines the purposes of WIOA:
- To increase, particularly those individuals with barriers to employment, access to and opportunities for the employment, education, training and support services they need to succeed in the labor market
- To support the alignment of workforce investment, education, and economic development systems
- To improve the quality and labor market relevance of workforce investment, education, and economic development efforts
- To promote improvement in the structure and delivery of services
- To increase the prosperity of workers and employers
The full purpose document is available at https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/wioa/pdf/fs_purposes.pdf
The four titles in WIOA are:
Title I – Workforce Development Activities
Title II – Adult Education and Literacy
Title III – Wagner-Peyser Act
Title IV – Vocational Rehabilitation
This toolkit focuses primarily on Titles I and II.
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration (ETA), WorkforceGPS is an interactive online communication and learning technical assistance (TA) platform that was designed to communicate with and build the capacity of the public workforce investment system to develop and implement innovative approaches to workforce and economic development in the 21st Century economy. This website, which offers resources and peer-to-peer connection, supplements other TA provided by ETA's national and regional staff to help the public workforce system, education professionals, and business.
“Workforce Wednesdays” weekly webinars
WIOA is landmark legislation that is designed to strengthen and improve our nation's public workforce system and help get Americans, including youth and those with significant barriers to employment, into high-quality jobs and careers and help employers hire and retain skilled workers.